View Single Post
Old June 1, 2004, 05:48 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Just to quote here directly:

Quote:
Waugh, who retired in January as the second highest scorer in Test cricket behind compatriot Allan Border, also shot down Indian captain Sourav Ganguly's proposal to have a two-tier system for Test cricket to make it more competitive.

"It's a good idea for one-day cricket because there are more sides playing that, and they're looking to inject more sides all the time," Waugh said.

"For Test cricket though, I'm not so sure. There are only 10 sides, so if you split them up into two tiers the teams will get sick and tired of playing the same opposition year in and year out.

"I'm not sure how the teams in the lower tier will improve enough to move up.

"If you look at the history of Test cricket there have always been weak sides. Remember New Zealand took 26 years to win a Test match. I think we're getting a bit carried away because a couple of sides aren't doing too well."

The proposal to have a two-tiered system for Tests was mooted due to the lop-sided contests featuring the severely-depleted Zimbabwe and Bangladesh's inability to win a Test match since being admitted to the fold in 2000.

"I think Test cricket is in a pretty healthy state," said Waugh.

"The cricket that's being played at the moment is among the most aggressive that has been played in the history of Test cricket. There are results almost all the time and it's exciting."