View Single Post
Old August 13, 2003, 01:25 AM
Club Cricketer

Aggression and courage does not make a good opener, and even if you think it does, i don't know why you would think koushik has courage because every time i've seen him face pace he has backed away to leg.

Ask yourself seriously, how good a batsmen is koushik? If you don't know have a look at his record.

Pinch hitters are a total waste of time unless you are batting second chasing 350 and you are Aus, SA, India, or someone like that. 99% of the time a pinch hitter will score less than 10. Every once in awhile they will come off. Asking koushik to knock up a mere 50 or 70 off say 30-50 balls as an opener once in his career is absurb.

If you want credible scores, opening with koushik is not the way to go about it. In ODI the perfect opener is the one who can find the blend between attack and defence. He has to be a batsmen with a technique in the first place but secondly needs to be able to score at about 4 an over without taking many risks.

I say pick Hannan and Golla. Ask them to be positive, but not aggressive, and tell them to rotate the strike more often. If they are too slow, Ash or Bidyut could come in.

And anyone who starts talking about scoring 250-270 and winning games simply by promoting koushik has lost it. we need firstly to be consistent and competitive.