View Single Post
Old January 16, 2009, 08:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
As a Test team -

Batting
Top order - Downward trend. Top order almost non-existent. Tamim occasionally plays a good innings and then hybernates. Zunaid is struggling to find his feet. Imrul was a good prospect, but needs time to settle. No comment on Ashraful.

Middle Order - Middle order sterngth has significantly increased over the last 12 months. Thanks to Shakib and Mushfiqur Rahim. Mehrab and Roqibul are good prospects, but both of them needs time to settle. Naeem should be a regular part of the Test team.

Late order/Tail - Like top order, going downwards except occasional blitz from Mashrafe.

As a whole the Test batting department hasn't improved over the last 12 months. Middle/Late middle order are producing some runs otherwise we would have seen a number of below 100 scores.

Test bowling
Pace Department
Mashrafe is the lone fighter due to alarming decline of Shahadat. Mahbubul is a good find and has a good future in the Test team. Made significant improvement after the addition of Ramanayeke. Rubel is probably not ready for Test yet.

Spin department
Emergence of Shakib changed the whole scenario otherwise our spin department is in dire situation. Enamul is no longer the same bowler, Mehrab does not have the consistency and penetration, Naeem is a part timer, Razzak is banned and pretty ineffective. We badly need a second spinner for the Test team.

ODI
Batting
Top order - Non existent. Even Tamim has forgotten his batting and Zunaid was always a non-starter for ODI. Imrul was a good prospect, but again we axed him from the ODI team for the Test failure which is nonsense. Rokib is not the same player after coming back from the injury. Mushy is failing to fill the number 3 position. No comment on Ashraful. Sharp decline in the last few months.

Middle order : Middle order is again keeping us in contention after regular top order collapse. Shakib, Naeem and Mushy (in middle order) are producing good runs. Mehrab Jr. is not fit for ODIs yet. Rokibul is trying to find his feet in the middle order, but it will take some time to regain his form. Encouraging signs are there.

late order/tail : No significant contribution except once in a blue moon performance from Mashrafe. No improvement.

Bowling
Pace : Mashrafe is holding the key. He is in good form and making regular breakthrough, but he needs a partner. We are badly missing Rasel. Mahbubul, Rubel or Nazmul may make a good partner, but I am not so sure about it yet. I want to give Mahbubul and Rubel more opportunities to settle in. Nazmul should play on green tops. It's taking a good shape.

Spin : Despite the absence of Razzak, ODI spin department looks good. Shakib is continuing his good work, Naeem is good 5th bowler, Mahmudullah/Ash/ Mehrab can fill the 6th bowler quota. Still we need Razzak badly, otherwise another worthy replacement. Shuvo might be the answer, don't know yet.

Overall, I don't see any significant improvement except middle order batting in Tests and ODI(largely due to Shakib and Mushy in Tests) and overall improvement in bowling department (again Shakib and Mashrafe).
rarely, do i find arguments to disagree with you. top class post. i am hoping Rasel recovers his back problem...