View Single Post
Old February 18, 2010, 11:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose
Default Bangladesh in 4th innings of TEST matches: some memories reloaded

BANGLADESH the latest member of TEST ARENA is now playing in the their 64th TEST match.

Of these 64 games Bangladesh actually have batted 10 times (including the current test) in the 4th innings where they have been given a target to chase. this is list given below ... ... ...

out of the 9 chases below we won once against WI chasing 215 and drew twice. though one of the draws were helped by rain. other was brilliant batting by golla, nafis iqbal and rajin.

and rest of the 6 we lost.

out of the 6, the targets of 473, 468, 521, 624 can be said unrealistic taking into account our ability. and 3 times we crumbled and were out below 200 and the games ended in 4 days. only while were chasing 521 we made a good score of 413. Bangladesh needed 267 runs to win with 5 wickets in hand on the last day.

the target of 353 against Zimbabwe could have been a chase-able one we had 14 overs in day 4 and a full 90 overs. well even if that was a not chase-able target we could have saved the game. but we lost 5 wickets for 25 in the 4th day and were all out for 169 just after lunch.

against India chasing 415..... well i think everybody has memories of that match still refreshed. another match we could have saved, or if our top order batted properly the chase could have been on.

in the end what i want to say in test cricket BD firstly is inexperienced and also more inexperienced in playing the 4th innings of a match where they have to save a match by batting out overs or chase a target. and we have actually had 2-3 games where we realistically had a chance to win or draw the match. others were unrealistic tasks taking our ability into consideration.

well we should learn our mistakes. chasing 404 against NZ was a possibility. but we should also had to consider that we must build a platform. and we needed 200/2 in 60 overs, not 250 in 50 overs. the way Tamim was going was mad was unbelievable. S/R of 80-100 ok, but he wanted 175. and what was Aftab doing with his running. we should have batted sensibly for today, tomorrow 1st session and then 1 hour up to post lunch session, then we could have assessed the situation and see what can be done. if a win was out of touch still we surely could have had a draw.

well the most important thing is now BD are making test match more competitive, were we are getting more realistic targets, and more realistic chances to save a match. but our safe-destructive mode and mad and stupid cricket where we don't apply ourselves and don't play or at least try to play up to our potential is letting us down.

anyway, there are signs of improvement, and i hope we learn from our mistakes. i want much more improved performances against ENGLAND in the next series and also hope before the series starts we see the most important thing needed for the development of our cricket. that is removal of some deadwood. u all know what i am saying .... .... ....

wishing BD good luck tomorrow, lets hope we can save the match, and also wishing BD good luck in near future against ENGLAND, and in far future.