View Single Post
Old July 14, 2009, 12:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default my thoughts

my thoughts, as Sohel bhai's grades are almost spot on:

tamim - solid...will be our best opener in all formats of the game, but how good is the question. i want to see him push his Test average past 30 - against top sides - within a year. he can do it, and no one on BC disagrees. his legside batting has improved quite a bit these days.

imrul - was impressed with his technique and compactness. before this tour i thougth he was a crap batter in the mould of the tushar imrans of bangladesh. i was wrong. i hope he continues to develop, and even if he doesn't a good anchor for the more aggressive TI Khan is fine.

junaid - terrible technique, but if he can score consistently, i see no reason to drop him. he's got a big 50 here - should have converted - 60+ scores in the seaming conditions of NZ, two 50s against Steyn-Morkel-Ntini attack both home and in RSA. he can't be getting lucky all the time. terrible technique, but he's done far more than more technically gifted BD batsmen in the most hostile of cricket pitches. if he improves he will be great, if he doesn't he'll the the poor mans "chanderpaul" ugly technique, but somehow [relatively] succesful.

raqib - i am still a believer. he's just going through a bad patch, and i really want to see a 50 or two in the next test. he does have some issues to work on tho. good fielder, and that gave us the breakthrough in the 2nd innings

ash - nothing to say. maybe i'm crazy, but the next test should be his last to prove himself. failrue to hit at least a 50 means permenent drop (should still bat in ODIs)

sakib - marvelous...could be our "rich man's" ganguly as skipper and potential batsmanship. tight bowling spells are as certain as the sunrise.

riyad - expect 20-25 as a batting average and improved bowling. for this match, he did a remarkable job.

rahim - continues to score with the bat, and really could have gotten a couple 50s. WK remains a concern.

mash - solid new ball bowler, and now we have rubel and to a lesser extent shahadat who can manage the older ball. finally, the days of 2 headed pace attack is over!

shahadat - good batting, twice as good as we can hope to expect. bowling has improved since the 2nd SL test last year. good economy rate. bowling on flat tracks is hurting him. want to see him back in early 2008 form, but with the lack of Tests BD plays, its doubtful he can get into that rhythm.

rubel - ditto what Sohel bhai and beamer feel about him. his reverse swing is amazing. quite erratic with the line and length though, but once he settles down and makes the batsman play at even 3 balls per over...this guy should be a wicket machine. now i see why he has FC bowling average of 50 despite oozing with raw potential

Misc - in the near certainty that ash loses his spot permently, mehrab and naeem are front runners to take his spot. i don't know who is the better batsman, but whoever it is should win the spot. come new years 2010, SN may be the best option as he has the mindset and skillset to play in the middle order and his proficiency against quality spin is amongst the best in the country. ideally aftab and alok would also be candidates here, but their batting in longer versions is highly suspect...enam should get a game as well. buts hard to see where he would fit in this lineup. but riyad with an 8-fer did as well as one can hope, and thats excellent production coming from a second spinner. don't want to see nazmul play in whites, but if mash is out for ODIs, nazmul and rubel should share the new ball, with razzak and shakib taking spin.

#OneTeam1Dream