View Single Post
Old October 3, 2007, 05:13 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib

Thanks for sharing the information. It is a well-written article vigorously promoting the idea of self-preservation of Sunni Islam through the four schools of thought. For Sunni muslims already subscribing to any such schools this maybe more encouraging or supportive. For others I'm not sure how effective this type of approach would be. Allow me to present my points below regarding that and you feedback will be greatly appreciated.

1) This article is obviously geared toward Sunni Muslims. But while promoting the virtues of the Madhab I noticed the writer takes a biased approach toward other sects of Islam and puts them in a very negative light. I'm not sure why one has to put down other followers of Islam to prove their own point. Are there not enough benefits and virtues of following the Madhab that can be explained without being confrontational? Or is that the style promoted by the Madhab when a Sunni muslim discusses religion with a non-Sunni muslim?

2) While I don't dispute the large background of scholarly expertise being put here to bolster the article, I'll have to say the assumption that average muslims are not expert enough to interpret and understand the ways of Islam is not very logical. For example, the first scholars or proponent of the current Madhab had to interpret and formulate their school of thought from the Quran and other sources. If that is so then how can they claim to be the absolute authority of the Madhab and that a future generation will not be able to improve upon it? It almost appear to curtail free-thinking (within the guideline of Islam and the Holy Quran) which is the very root itself from which Madhab seem to have orginated from.