Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
2. Next, I tried several things.

a) Kept window pulled up when driving on highway
b) Kept my driving speed more or less at a constant speed for the most part
c) Ensured that my tires have the suggested pressure
d) Reduced idling time, so that if I have to stop somewhere for 2 mins, I'ld rather turn off the car and turn it back on instead of keeping it idle while turned on
3. To take things to the extreme, I tried a few more things then.

a) When accelerating from zero speed, took it easy...and not just step hard on gas...apparently, the engine consumes the most amount of gas in acceleraing from zero
b) Offloaded unnecessary items from my trunk
c) Started taking routes that involve less stopping and turning
d) Pressed on gas slightly slowly, so that when the car is accelerating and it switches gear, the RPM stays below 2. If driving in a 60 zone, keep the car at 65 so that the sweet spot of RPM below 2 is achieved.
e) If there's a red light ahead, I'ld slow down from far behind. If not slow down, at least remove the foot of the peddle. In most cases, the light will turn green, and I'ld start accelerating again...but this time not from zero speed. Which means, it'll take less gas to get back to speed
All these work really well for me as well. I dont drive long distances like you but these steps are really helpful. I was watching CNN and apparently having your window up and ac on saves you more gas than having your windows rolled down.

I have heard mixed stories about acetone too. There was a report on it on CTV. The reporter asked consumers questions and some said it worked and some said it didnt. My dad said its BS, and so far no scientific proof either so i rather not try it.