Thread: Barry Richards
View Single Post
Old September 3, 2012, 02:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
i think i'd go with hobbs and richards as my openers. risky probably since they both score at a quicker rate but both are hugely consistent and can smash any attack. actually my top 4 would possibly be b.richards, hobbs, bradman then v.richards with sobers at #5 or #6. kallis might take the #4 spot and viv might drop down to #5. what makes it tough is viv was best at #3 but can't move the don from the #3 spot as that was also his best position. viv's next best spot was #5 but that's also sobers best position. kallis gets the #4 spot because in 101 test matches he averages 64 batting in the #4 position. so 1 hobbs 2 b.richards 3 don 4 kallis 5 viv 6 sobers. although steve waugh is the best #5 ever, leaving viv out, don't know if i can do that.

sehwag i would probably have as a back-up opener tbh, i know this is a big call but if they were playing subcontinent he might even start i mean 103 innings (62 matches), average of 60 strike rate of 84. pretty tough to keep him out if playing in the subcontinent imo. though everywhere else he averages 35, strike rate of 75, a ridiculous strike rate but not the consistency.
Bradman at 3 and no 4 would be Graeme Pollock to shift Viv to no 5.

Now at no 4 I picked Graeme Pollock who I rate as one of the best left handers to ever play the game. Slightly controversial pick to take Graeme Pollock at no 4 but still can't leave him out. Sobers at no 6. This would give-

ATG Test XI

1. Sir Jack Hobbs
2. Victor Trumper
3. Sir Donald Bradman
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Sir Vivian Richards
6. Sir Garfield Sobers [5]
7. Adam Gilchrist+
8. Imran Khan* [3]
9. Sir Richard Hadlee [2]
10. Shane Warne [4]
11. Malcolm Marshall [1]