View Single Post
Old June 16, 2008, 04:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Many batsmen use this cheap old technique - playing lofted shots to just clear the inner circle. It works for some people, and it doesn't for some others. To play real cricket, one has to learn how to place the shots in b/w fielders. That's something Ashraful cannot do.

To be honest with you, I was surprised when I saw Tamim...coz he has a good technique, and is able to place the shots b/w fielders. For Ashraful (I'm sorry to say this), it always felt like it's a fluke.
hmm dont think i can really agree with you here kabir. tamim doesnt have the greatest technique. he's more of a chris gayle like player, with great hand eye coordination which makes up for his footwork. ash is easily bd's most technically gifted batsman: he plays very late, can easily play with a straight bat, picks up the line very early and transfers his body weight easily either on the front or backfoot.

This makes it all the more frustrating for someone like me when he gets out. you would think that for someone like ash, the bowler needs to do something extra to get him out but the guy gives it all away.

most people don't realize that a player goes through many phases in his international career. for the last 7 years or so, ash has been playing aerial shots and look where its got him. he's learning to graft now and in no way does he mean that he will be a grafter for ever. what this approach will do (hopefully) is make him realize the virtue of crafting an inning and not bashing his way through. it's obvious that this lesson should have been installed in not only ash but in all our batsmen at a much earlier stage (with sakib being the only exception), but then again we seem to be using the international arena for all things basic these days....

on a side note, i'm actually a big fan of jamie siddons. i can see what he's doing with the team: installing a sense of both individual and collective responsibility that wasnt as much highlighted during the whatmore reign. i just hope the selectors (and the fans) are patient enough...