View Single Post
Old November 4, 2009, 09:04 AM
Test Cricketer

Just finished "Why Does E=mc2?: (And Why Should We Care?)".

Recommended. Only thing I didn't like about this book is that despite stating clearly that the book was written for general public, the authors goes way out of their way to not only explain e=mc2 in the form of equations but also goes as far as trying to explain the "Standard model of Particle Physics" (one step behind "Theory of Everything") in the form of a mixture of equations
*facepalm* and analogues. For obvious reasons, most of that went over my head. They encouraged you to skip the equations even though it was a big part of the whole book with multiple references back to it. Otherwise it was a good quick read of ~260 pages. Since it was written by Brian Cox, an unofficial spokesman of LHC, I thought the book would eventually lead to some form of reference to the Large Hadron Collider and he didn't disappoint me.

Next up:
Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James Loewen. Should be an interesting read, highly recommended by many friends. Since I know very little about American history, should be a learning experience.