Thread: Hom' batting.
View Single Post
Old August 16, 2011, 06:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Ok, all this hype and interest about a guy who made 32? I know the expectation from fans has dipped in the recent past after a string of pathetic performances by the team, but does a knock of 32 by debutant elicit a thread opening or query about his potential? How much can one deduce from an inning of 32? I just saw the highlights...I can't get past his drop of Taibu. That's unpardonable! That was the game.

Since people are overlooking the grave mistake and talking about his batting,I will do the same. His strengths and weaknesses are the same as many of the contemporary Bangladeshi batsmen. He can play reasonably well off the front foot, has high bat speed and resorts to minimal footwork against the quicks. Oddly enough, his batting style reminded me of T. Dilshan. Needless to say he has much more to climb before reaching Dilshan's height.

Likes: 1) positive attitude and self belief; he really tried to win the game
2) aggressive intent in running between wicket (although that was his downfall)
3) plays offie very comfortably and rotated the strike well

Improvements: 1) need to learn to better communicate with batting partner (to avoid brainless run out)
2) learn to relax (seemed really nervous in batting and that drop was probably due to nerves as well)
3) needs to learn how to cut the ball and steer good balls to third man

Dislikes: 1) minimal footwork
2) poor balance (missed out on cut shots and leg stump half volley)

Unknowns: Can he attack faster bowlers? Does he have the patience and skill to play good swing bowling? Is he adept at hooking/pulling bouncers? Can he rotate strike when a leggie/left arm orthodox is bowling? Can he hit sixes (batting at #6 it's almost a requirement)?

Too early for judgement one way or another, but the hype has to stop. What anyone does in Bd domestic cricket is not a good measuring stick for forecasting player success at the international level. Let this guy maintain an average of 32 for five straight matches, I will open a thread.

Last edited by Ishtylish cricketer; August 16, 2011 at 09:39 PM..