View Single Post
Old July 22, 2004, 12:12 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Many thanks, Tintin , Chinaman and others

I didn't realise there would be so many posts on this one. Usually, stats can be quite boring.

I made a glaring error in not including byes and leg byes. No wonder when I first tabulated the figures it seemed quite low. For Bangladesh, 185 appeared eminently sensible though ! Even a little on the high side. This shows there has been recent improvement. My hunch was it would be around 170 !

I think your contributions have enhanced the "value" of the calculations.

Chinaman, your TPG is a runner. May I suggest that rather than adding all the historical scores, we could have TPG10 [ i.e. the last 10 matches ], TPG20 etc. This will have more relevance as clearly recent results are more important.

Do you want to complicate matters further ? Take a weighted average of totals giving more weight to recent scores [ or, give more weight to stronger teams ]. I leave such "interesting !!" calculations to those of you prepared to burn the midnight oil !

By the way, byes and leg byes have to be factored in.

I still think, in the batting calculations, a multiplier of 10/11 is needed as all averages by definition are for completed innings'. Not out scores are included in the runs , so the Not Out batsman[men]'s contribution is built-in in every batsman's average.

I am prepared to be corrected.