View Single Post
Old July 21, 2004, 02:14 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Historical roots of our batting crisis

Our batting has been struggling for a long time. Numerous theories have been suggested to explain this phenomenon. I want to add my own theory to the ever-growing list of explanations of our batting failure.

I think history has played a unique and important role in creating today's batting crisis. In particular I want to point out Aminul Islam Bulbul .

One of my clearest images of Bulbul is his delicate glance/push down to third man. Indeed it was one of his favourite shots. Whenever he needed to get a quick single he would push the ball down to third man. Quite often, it worked brilliantly.

Quite often, his glance would backfire. I remember two occasions (don’t remember which specific game) where he played it into the hands of wide first slip or gully - from an off-spinner!.

I remember that I was myself inspired by his delicate and effective nudges and pushes. I tried it several times playing against friends and family. Needless to say, my batting qualities are somewhat less impressive than Bulbul's. I ended up nicking the ball to slip or keeper far more often than I could pull off the shot. These failures did not stop me from trying the shot every now and then.

Now, I am *not* claiming that Bulbul inspired generations of our batsmen to commit suicidal 'fishing' outside the off stump. But his influence cannot be discounted either.

Bulbul was, after all, one of our finest batsmen at the time. I found it hard not to feel proud after he proclaimed Bulbul's cover drive was a 'shot of a little master'. (I think that was in an Asia cup match against India, it was some Indian comm). I’m sure; many others felt the same way. Many may have tried to copy his technique, intentionally or unconsciously.

How can we correct this problem carried down from history? My suggestion is this: every time our batsmen practice, he should be penalized ten runs every time a shot is played down to third man. If this is done enough times, it batsmen will instinctively leave alone balls just outside off. They might abandon fishing altogether!

Anyhow, that’s my theory. I welcome critiques and additions of any kind

[Edited on 22-7-2004 by Piranha]

[Edited on 22-7-2004 by Piranha : for clarity]