View Single Post
Old August 10, 2009, 12:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones
Default Why Nazmul instead of Rubel?

I’m disappointed in not seeing Rubel in our first game against Zim. Nazmul may have bowled pretty ok and got 3 wickets but I do not consider him as a future prospect especially against good oppositions. I know he has bowled some very good spells in couple of matches against Sri Lanka but overall I don’t see the prospect of him being an effective bowler. With his pace or lack of it and no significant swing, good openning batsmen of good teams will play him at will.

I know so far Nazmul showed better control than Rubel but he was also hit mercilessly by Fletcher even of good length balls because of his lack of pace and swing. Rubel on the other hand leaks runs for his lack of control. But because of his raw pace he should still be able to come out good if he learns to control. Pace cannot be taught but control can be and if on the job training is the motto of the current BD team with so many young and talented players, then Rubel should always have a first crack at an opposition at the beginning of the series. With his raw pace on a pitch with a hint of green, he could’ve been more than a handful for these Zim batsmen (no disrespect to them).

If our current team is flying high due to their recent success (even if it’s against a weekend WI team) and are building on that, then the same thing should be true for Rubel. He should be given a chance to taste success of taking some wickets from weaker oppositions and build his confidence and carry that forward facing the stronger ones.

Success breeds success even if the initial success comes from an easy challenge. We cannot afford to miss out on such opportunity (since we are the ones sitting at the bottom of the table) of playing a team that is currently significantly weaker than us. So management should give Rubel the chance he deserves….if he doesn’t succeed in the first 3 matches of 5 oneday series then make way for others.