View Single Post
Old October 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

The 8th Habit - Steven Covey

After reading The 7th Habit of Highly Influential People it became obvious that I would become more interested to learn about the Orwellian Fantasy the writer likes to depict in habit number eight. Covey technically short-cuts the varying effects of reality to tell us the same old advices with a new cunning language he invented. 15 million copies sold and the only thing valuable I learned is the space between stimulus and response which was actually shared from ancient scriptures.

Essentials of Total Quality Management - MA Mannan and F Ferdousi

Call it a compilation, bought it from last Ekushe Boimela while facing the challenge to improve the quality control process in the Doel Laptop Plant. Interestingly found useful information like how Japan pioneers over the US and Europe in QC, surprisingly led by an American. I am still in the Technical aspects of quality as skipped the Organizational aspect chapters.

Steve Jobs - Walter Isaacson

After reading The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership For A New Generation, a very good book I read in recent times I went into the official autobiography book (you can call it autobiography in a way that Isaacson was appointed by Jobs for writing it). A lot to know about other side of Jobs like his Syrian descent as he was born as a Muslim, the Wozniak-Jobs duo almost like Right brothers, the intensity and passion that made Jobs Jobs, his rudeness and influential reality distortion capacity, frenemic relationship with Gates and many more.

Things Ain't What They Used To Be - Al Young

I was there looking for the red Kia Sportage of my friend in between TSC and Art Institute and the street-hawker was selling the new Indian editions of Oxford dictionaries of Maths., Chemistry and Physics. The price was little short than 600
so I asked him to throw in the above book which he initially told 100 taka alone. He pondered then agreed, and here I am reading probably the first musical memoir in my life. It is indescribable how it feels to read true experiences of a real musician related to most acclaimed musical numbers ranging from John Coltrane to Billie Joel, may be more as I am not even half-way through. If you are into music and also in books I would recommend. I wish I got hold of other memoirs he wrote. Someday may be ....

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

I know it is too late to state I am reading WH on my 42nd birthday but life was not that magical for me as like other book-worms I know of. After reading Great Expectations I actually lost interest finishing The Old Curiosity Shop of Dickens as it is still lying on my shelf although I started it before GE. Dickens is a Victorian and anything VIctorian is too cliche off-course except Oliver Twist. Well, luckily Bronte is not rather she has a very crunchy rude way of story telling, very Moorish, very Subtle.

Paroshshe - Tagore

Anything by Tagore is astonishing not because of the beauty of his work but because of the foresight he establishes in every paragraph, sentence or even word. Tagore was never been my ideal writer, rather I like Jibonanondo's poem more than his. But myth is there is no area of sub-continental life which was not penned by Tagore and 'myth' the word can replace itself by 'truth' here without much hesitation. Tagore is as powerful in his traveling tales as in any of his great works. Something like 'khonij panio" as he translated "mineral water" when we did not know about plastic let alone "Mum".