View Single Post
Old July 12, 2006, 04:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
that's a lame argument.

while the comments and deeds of the minister are by no means acceptable, and he deserves to burn in hell, it has no association to the Berlin incident. Zidane owes an apology to Materazzi, and vice versa, even if both feel it's just for the heck of it.

a lot of what zidane said does not apply to a sportsman at the top level. while i do understand his sentiments rooting from his mother getting admitted to the hospital, he is a representative of his people and an idol to many, and he shouldn't have gone physical. I think he said something like "I am a man first...and there are things that I can't control myself after hearing...I'd rather take a blow in the face than hear something like that..." arey baap etoi jodi kharap kisu bole thake taile why dont you tell us what he said already? and besides, why does he care what someone else has to say about his family? it doesn't seem like matterazi's comments were anything that footballers don't have to swallow everyday on the pitch...and by not apologising, both of them are setting bad examples.
He has no reason to apologize to Materazzi. He owed an apology to his countrymen, fans, the sport and he did just that. As for why he isn't revealing the exact details, it will probably remain a mystery forever and find a place in most football history books. Both parties are reluctant to reveal the details. May be because it's in extremely poor taste?

Besides, we already have a decent idea of the details of the exchange. I know lipreadings aren't fullproof or reliable as evidence, but people underestimate expert lipreaders. An ex of mine was deaf and she could reproduce anything I spoke with an astounding level of accuracy. She rarely even needed teletext for the TV. Anyway, several british newspapers have asked for expert opinions on this and the results have been exactly the same. I don't know if any of you are regulars at the fbtz forum, but Brazilian members there have claimed that the Globo TV Channel there has been running a gag all world cup long with deaf children reading players'/officials'/crowd's lips. Their accuracy level has been near perfect too. When the kids were given the task of reading Materazzi, all 3 of them returned the exact same result. Obviously the children have no knowledge of Italian. The translation is in perfect sync with Zidane's claimed family/race insults. I have no link to this right now, but some people will soon post the video on Youtube.

ps: Materazzi claims he doesn't even know what an Islamist terrorist is. In today's world that's like saying an Italian doesn't know what pasta is. It is possible that they are both lying. But even then, Marco isn't being a smart liar.