View Single Post
Old May 5, 2008, 12:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchamp20
But thats the thing the Indian public dont want to see the Indian cricketers, if they did they would go and watch the Ranji Trophy or Deodhar etc. But do they? No, they dont, now I know the stars players arent available for those matches but even when they are no cares about them, but Indian public does care about IPL because of the foreign stars along with their favourate locals play on it. So to add to the crowd's enjoyment and to contribute greater towards world cricket they should allow 6 foreign players. Say there were 6 foreigners in a team, that would leave 5 spots available for Indians. You could have 3 superstar Indians in each XI and two promising stars(Shikar Dhawan, Tiwary etc.) Wouldnt that be enough? Whats the point of having U-19 Indians playing? Most of the viewers arent die-hard fans who think about player development and stuff they just want entertainment.
No man just 2 upcoming players defeats the whole puprose of an IPL.That is one of the main objectve ..hence I believe 4 international playes is a fair (if not too generous)call.

Indian public dont go in droves to watch Ranji trophy for two reasons ..1.Its a 5 dayer 2.No stars. IPL is a great idea (albeit a copied one) as it adresses the two in a great way.Mind you the ODI tourney's we have (Team Red, Team green etc ..) with all the stars are 80-90% full. Now add the Indian stars,the Bollywood,the money and some international stars we have the IPL.

The basic premise here is that the IPL is for the Indian audience and for unearthing Indian talent similar to the English County where some stars are bought for the benefit of the county.This is no different..

I am not averse to a special treatment to the BD playes ..say one spot in every team.But again I would still keep it to 4 internationals with atleast 4 Indian youngsters making the cut.

And mind you in 1-2 years you would see atleast 5-6 BD players in the regular units in IPL.Its one more motivation for the BD young lads to perform.I am sure Ash would be kicking himslef for not making the cut with his immense potential..same goes for Mash and Tamim.These guys dont need favours they will make the cut for themselves.

Last edited by bharat; May 5, 2008 at 12:32 PM..