View Single Post
Old March 11, 2005, 02:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

Quote:
Originally posted by couger
There are times when I feel Asraful's almost blasse, bored. I feel that he needs a challenge to get going. Both his centuries came in pressured conditions. Then again true class which I think he is, should be able shine always.

Edited on, March 11, 2005, 2:31 AM GMT, by couger.
Doesn't BD team always play under pressure? There were probably 2 or 3 innings where by the time Ashraful came to bat we were not in pressure situation.

All talented players who went on to become something in Test and ODI cricket were able to make their mark within 2 to 3 years. It has been 4 for Ash and not significant enough change in him yet.

Out all our current national team players he seems to be our hope since he scored 2 centuries but reality is that somebody like Pilot has served more than his duty to the team; but we still drool on Ash's comeback of one inning in every 2-3 years.

We are better of playing players who can go out there and do the job even if they don't have good style or grace in their batting, but can keep an avg. of high 20s to 30s. We wasted too much of our hopes and effort on players like Ash and Alok who came and went making 1 or 2 sparks during their time. Its time for us to take the route that brings the team work among the players were everybody has to perform for the team to win. If we can do that may be in 3 to 5 years we will have few players really worthy of the praises to so cheaply give away to Ash and Alok. We don't need stars or idols and neither do we need to elevate any players to a status with our hopes and praises which they are not worthy yet.

Team work, technique, dependability, smart/clever, passionate, self confidence of winning when all the odds are against you..... these are the things we need, not Ashraful or Alok......