Thread: Fast Bowling
View Single Post
Old June 9, 2012, 09:14 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1000
2- I don't really agree with this, did guys like Brian Lara not have great natural gifts, How did George Foreman hit harder than Joe louis - Louis had the greatest technique of them all in punching.

4- Humans don't actually hit harder (in terms of punching) - there hasn't been a harder puncher than ernie shavers in 30 years

the point you are making is hard work can get you anywhere and that's good to tell school kids, but I believe pure special talent will get you there, Hardwork will help you mantain and improve on it.

I got a quesiton on the bowlers who bowled 15-20 faster, how much was it due to pure technique, how much was due to them not understanding their body correctly -hence not using the all the correct muscle's they have.

Obviously in bowling alot has to do with technique, but you can't ignore the fact some are born with natural gifts, surely you've come across a guy who doesn't have the build or technique but is able to bowl much quicker than what is expected.

Alot of my knowledge comes from combat sports, I do understand the fact it may not relate into cricket.

When I played cricket (U-16) I was much quicker than most, I wasn't nessecarily big nor did I practice more - everyone I played with played most of the year around, I played infrequently, I also didn't put in extra effort I just released it with ease and it came out fast - now people with same build - maybe bigger/better shape put in more effort couldn't get the same speed - just not U-16, in club cricket guys that were in early 20's couldn't get the speed I could get, I didn't practice day and night
I don't claim to have all the answers, but coaching fast bowling for 19 years has given me a deep insight into the human psyche.

What is fact is that humans learn everything in life and are not 'imprinted' with a skill. Clearly some learn faster than others, some have better aptitude for retain complex information and some seem to 'like' a skill more than someone else. But basically, a combination of the points I made covers it all.

As a coach, I developed with the ECB's 5 part "success" pie chart that has the following compartments: technical, tactical, physical, mental and lifestyle. Each is interactive upon the other and each has an importance is developing world class cricketers. Put simply, a player who demonstrates high scores in all areas is likely to be hugely successful. A player weak in some areas, not likely. England currently sits at number 1 in Test cricket.

There will always be someone unique who is prolific even when doing things 'incorrectly'. There will always be someone just 'has what it takes' by not seemingly learning it the conventional way. We cannot cater for the oddities in the world and there will always be some who appear not to practice yet become terrific players. But they are not the benchmark we seek. Those that disprove the rule don't make the guidelines any less true.

Fast bowling is never definitive. However, you can learn the process and skills you need to be the best version of yourself. Otherwise a coach is just a waste of time.

I am guessing that a brilliant surgeon, wonderful lawyer or genius racing driver share the relative fundamentals for their chosen profession, of many of the points I originally made. There will always be people who don't fit the mold. And the world is more interesting due to them.