View Single Post
Old July 1, 2008, 07:22 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
Fazal vai,
with the exception of his bald head the other critiques against JS is quite fair AFAI concern. Regarding the so called improvement let me clarify something.
1. Aftab: Is this the same Aftab we are talking who scored 57 runs in Pakistan. I saw no change in his approach in Pak tour. He yet made one good score in JS era. I was actually thinking we are seeing a new Aftab till that Kallis bouncer.
2. Ash is changing; but not improving. Before he was trying to hot 4/6 even to unplayable balls and now he defend in those balls which have 4 written all over.
3. You were talking about sticking on Farhad and Riyad. I do not watch so much Riyad bar one match. But I think he is actually destroying Farhad by making him opening bowler and toying with his batting position. AFAI concern he is the cleanest hitter of ball in Bangladesh team; now we are losing him. And I yet fail to nderstand why he dropped Dhiman; remember I am a Mushy fan
4. I do not know what improvement he made to Rakib. But this guy has a triple ton in domestic match and with Sakib and Mushy considered as the most thinking crickter in domestic circuit.
But anyway even as his harshest critique agree that he is a good batting coach (Tamim may attest); we have problem he being as head coach. We often talk why Ash is not learning? But is our coach learning? How many 300+ score needed agaienst us to realize that we need Rasel opening the bowling; you need to watch local game to spot talent. I was quite surprised to learn that JS agreed Alok's inclusion based on a single net practice. You need to perform in three departments (batting, bowling, fielding) to win a match. JS should know it better as he was the batting coach when SA chased 434, NZ succesively chased 350+. But in the last 10 monthes not a single match our three dept clicks. Unfortunatley we move forward two steps in batting but move backward four steps in fielding and eight steps in bowling. The blame should be put solely on JS.
thebest,

good points. I kind of agree the one that I highlighted.

- I also think that bouncer killed all the sign of progress that we may have seen in aftab

- I also have concern about Ash i.e. he is changing... whether it will do him any good or not, I don't know. I pretty much gave up on Ash ,,, but now atleast I am going to ait and see a little bit... may be the end result will be disappointing.... but atleast JS is trying to stir things up. So I will give some credit to him.

- About farhad I agree and I have the same concern, As an outsider I also think he is not used properly ... atleast he is not using his strength..... rather exposing his (Farhad's) weakness. Farhad is (still) not an opening bowler and he used to be much better batsman .... I don;t know what happend to his batting.

- I don;t who is behind Dhiman's inclusion and sudden exclusion. I didn't liked that also... specially the way they brought him and dumped him for no reason.

- About Rakib and Sakib, JS may or may not contributed anything, but as a coach when a player develops or fail to develop the coach gets some credit/discredit.... whether he deserve it or not we can ask that question.... but thats the way its works.... so I will give some credit to JS even he may not have anything to do with it.

-About the way Alok was inclided, I would put too much weight on it as I have very little respect on those taboid reporters. We know very litlle exactly what happens inside andI think we fans know very little about those ... reporters may know little bit more but not necessarily everything specially first hand knowledge ... most of the cases they know it from 2nd /3rd hand or even worse made up/partial information. I am not an Alok fan,,,, but i have to admid that his selection this time worked out fine for now,,,, its more justfied (by performance) than any other previous experiment with Alok.

- Yes fielding and bowling is the disapointemnt so far under him, Except may be the bowling imprivement of Sakib and Farhad. I don'tknow what is the problem. May be the departure of Rafiq and the lack of form of mashrafee and Rasel's injury contributed that also. But JS deserve some blame.

Don't get me wrong. I am not completely sold on JS. Now am I completely happy with all the deceions SJ is making. I also understand the concern some fans are raising regarding JS, Point by Point I agree some most of them. And as you all may know by now that I am not the most patient fan in this forum. But still at the end of the day, I am will to stick with Siddon for one more year before I pronounce him a failure as a coach. I think he is a new, young and in-experienced coach with determination and plan coaching a pretty bad team in completely different culture that he is not familiar with; his plan may work out, or it may not.... and people who are criticizing him, I kind of agree their points and I think is its healthy discussion and hopefully will guide him to right direction.... but I have to say it again..... I would rather stay with him one more year before I ask for his head..... because .... good or bad ... I see some changes... some of them I agree... some of them I may not.