Thread: For My Brothers
View Single Post
Old March 15, 2012, 10:32 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
However, I think the Muslim experience and history in Canada and North America is significantly more evolved, and you find within an articulation of how to coexist and especially after 9/11 a more defined understanding of what it is to be Muslim in a democratic liberal society...It is interesting that in Britain though, that despite there being a strong articulate group leading Islamic discourse within and with British society at large, most followers of the faith there probably would not identify with them as much as they would with the cultural islam of the south asian diaspora. As an example think Myriam Francois-Cerrah vs Anjem Chowdhury!
Good post ammark but I wonder how true the comment that I have highlighted in bold is? There may have been a renewed and vigorous intellectual discussion on the role of Islam in American society post-9/11 but how has this reflected on the actual lives of American Muslims? Maybe those who live in the US could enlighten us about this.

I would also say that it isn't the cultural islam of south asia that many (particularly the youth) are adopting but rather a reactionary brand of the faith stripped of any cultural context. By this, I don't mean they necessarily adopt extreme positions but instead base their views in opposition to what they believe are threats to (Islamic) cultural and religious values. This feeling of 'I am always threatened' does not facilitate inter-religious dialogue or understanding.