Thread: Pilot's words
View Single Post
Old September 6, 2002, 01:23 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Pilot\'s words

Mashud wants definite progress

UNB, Dhaka

Bangladesh captain Khaled Mashud gives more emphasis on the present performance of his team than dreaming of success.
"We need to overcome the team's present frustrating show and I believe we'll be able to do so by utilising our potential," he said yesterday.

"I want the best players, irrespective of their age."

He is of the opinion that the national team should be a composition of youth and experience.

"I think there are some players in the A team that can be considered for the future."

He however deflected a question on whether he needed to be involved in the selection process.

About his target in the ICC Champions Trophy starting in Sri Lanka on September12, the Bangla-desh skipper said, "It is pointless to think about beating Australia or New Zealand. Realistically, our aim is to put up a credible performance."

He recognised that the team was passing through a rough patch in the international arena since being elevated to a Test nation.

Mashud, who also has the responsibility of keeping wicket, emphasised on a united team effort as opposed to individual performances. "It is more important that the team has done well."

He said everybody would have to work harder because they face a tough schedule in the next couple of months.

Bangladesh tour South Africa later this month to play a couple of Tests and one-day internationals. Then they host West Indies in November-December. And next year comes the World Cup in South Africa and a historic visit to Australia.

Mashud expressed dissatisfaction over practice facilities at the Bangla-desh Krira Shikkha Protis-than.

"We went to residential camp in BKSP on August 20 but there was no proper pitch for batting practice," he said.

The Bangladesh team leaves on September 8.

They will take on world champions Australia on September 19 and face reigning champions New Zealand on September 23 in the first round.

Source:

http://www.dailystarnews.com/200209/...0604.htm#BODY1