View Single Post
Old June 15, 2014, 09:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
after a long time, i loved the way Shakib batted....no complains. its not his responsibility to stop a collapse, build a partnership, accelerate and play a finisher all by himself. As long as he can play these kind of innings constantly, i would be happy even if he gets out after a 50.
that's what a finisher tries to do and when you bat at #5 you have to expect to play the finishing role from time to time as if you're a good #5 you'll often have scored some runs and built some partnerships through the middle to end part of innings and then have to accelerate and take the team over the line, at the same time if the top order does well a #5 might not come in until late in the innings and will have to do the same type of innings just in a shorter space of time.

someone has to take responsibility, the senior players first and foremost. shakib is 27 now, he's played 130+ ODIs, he's been captain of the team, he's been the teams best player for years, his next step is to step it up once again and take even more responsibility, mushy should be doing the same (so should tamim but there's even less chance he'll do it).

anyway with the form nasir and riyad have been in shakib should have expected that he'd need to play a bigger batting role in this match, i.e. more than just a quick 50, an innings that is significant and substantial (again, same with mushy, i'm not just picking on shakib).

i'm sorry if it seems harsh, but these should be the expectations fo the senior players, you can't expect the inexperienced to do these things consistently so it's the seniors job, if they don't take the responsibility then the team is doomed to fail.