View Single Post
Old July 29, 2009, 04:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfreak
Our pace attack is nowhere near world class and faaar behind the quality of our sppin attack. Having said that, our dependency on spin is part of the reason why BD pacers can't properly develop. The captains (Understandbly) don't trust pacers in critical situations. I'm not saying, Shakib or ash should just give the last over to Rubel; but slowly starting to shift some responsibility to the pacers will help them mature and learn from match situations.

Now that Shakib is a captain and he's a spinner, I expect to see more 2 over spells from Rubel adn Shahadat.
Actually, telling a quick "You're in for a 3 over spell. Keep it on off stump, and bowl it as fast as you can" can be a pretty good way of keeping the edge on a strike bowler.

The Windies having, probably, 6 of the best 12 fast bowlers since the War between 1975 and 1985 was weird and unusual - before that, they had about equal numbers of good slow bowlers and fast bowlers, and after that, they havent had any worthwhile bowlers at all (Srinath or Vaas were better quicks than anyone out of the Windies in the last 15 years).

Traditionally, the subcontinent just doesnt produce fast bowlers, and honestly I think in Mash, Bangladesh has it's regulation one good quick. The BCB is doing what it can with the Pacer Hunt, and it's throwing up a couple of first-class prospects each year, on about a 3 year delay for training etc.

You can't just shake a tree and have good fast bowlers fall out of it ; if you could, I can guarantee Peter Siddle, Ben Hifenhaus or Mitchell Johnson would not be Australia's first string pace attack.