View Single Post
Old November 3, 2003, 01:29 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Politics involving Ashraful

Much ado about Ashraful
Sports Reporter

Mystery shrouds Mohammad Ashraful's inclusion in the playing eleven of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) Development Squad for the limited-overs practice match against visiting England at the Bangabandhu National Stadium on November 5.

The 19-year-old has been named vice-captain of the juvenile selection. The youngest Test centurion on debut was all set to take on the English attack for the first time after being dropped from the national team for a miserable tour of Pakistan.

But in a late twists it was learnt that the talented right-hander might not be considered in the 50-over contest before the first ODI at Chittagong on November 7.

The coach of the Development squad Sarwar Imran made the sensational revelation during the team's practice at the BNS yesterday.

"Selector Aminul Islam informed me that there was a restriction about his (Ashraful) inclusion in the in the final eleven," said Imran without elaborating.

The former national coach was understandably unhappy at the development.

"Actually I can't understand why this has happened. I'm also upset with other things like the way we are preparing with little facilities available," said the former BKSP coach.

"Ashraful is training hard in the nets for last two days to correct his mistakes and I have little doubt about his talent," Imran said.

While Imran expressed his frustration chairman of the junior selection committee Jahangir Shah Badsha tried to sound confused over the Ashraful issue.

"Actually Carlton Bernardus selected the squad and we have just endorsed it. I also learnt that the Board was not interested to give him another chance at the moment. But

frankly speaking I'm also in the dark just like you," said Badsha. The former national all-rounder, who is no stranger to controversy, made headlines by ignoring paceman Talha Jubair for the Under-19 tour of Pakistan.

His colleague and former Bangladesh captain Aminul Islam also expressed his ignorance about it.

But the experienced cricketer said that there is no scope to play any game with the gifted batsman and branded Ashraful as a rare cricketer in the country.

"I have also learnt that objections have been made by certain persons over Ashraful. But I can't say who are they," said Aminul, who came to see the Development squad training.

Meanwhile, a source said that the Board had previously planned to give Ashraful a complete rest during England's tour of Bangladesh. But the good intention was turned upside down when he was named in the Development squad.

The sentiment of the Board was to allow Ashraful to play the domestic cricket for sometime so that he could correct his mistakes.

Ashraful himself was least bothered about missing the prospect of playing against England.

"I was dropped for my poor form and I am just trying to correct my mistakes. I will not mind if I miss the practice match. I also feel that I need a break from international cricket and play in the domestic matches so that I can overcome my technical flaws," said Ashraful while commenting on the rumors about him.

However, a keen follower of the batsman had other ideas.

"Obviously the selectors did not want to take a risk on him since if he did well in the practice match then there would be pressure to select him for the one-day series," fumed a fan at the BNS on Sunday.

Imran was very much disappointed with the matter as he has lack of quality players in the squad.

Source: Daily star.

Prothom Alo also has an article on him.