View Single Post
Old October 18, 2012, 03:38 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Complete off topic - apologies to all, and this is full of rambling thoughts, so bear with me....
Yet look where we are....Too often we get bogged down in the negatives, eita nai keno, how about appreciating what we have? I'm not saying we should 'settle' - but we need to recognize the hand we were dealt.

Bangladesh
I'm replying to it here as my response does not touch upon the topic of the 3G thread at all.

I share Turbo bhai's optimism about Bangladesh.

I believe that I'm part of the generation who are genuinely interested in returning home and investing our future (i.e. bhobishot, not the financial term) in the country. Yes, there are many pitfalls, hardships and set backs here but there is also great scope for introducing new ideas and being innovative (if you have a real desire to).

For the longest time, I thought that I would succumb to the temptation of pursuing a typical Third Culture Kid profession i.e consultant, UN employee etc. I didn't and I'm really glad. I returned home immediately after being called to the Bar in July, despite my parents being abroad and despite being totally unfamiliar with the Bangladesh legal system and legal culture. (No one in my family is a lawyer or judge) It was not a bad decision. I'm now a trainee lawyer and a part-time lecturer of administrative law and commercial law. I've started contributing legal articles, volunteering as a coach to teach university students how to debate points of law and am in the process of setting up a free legal clinic in my Dada's ancestral village to go alongside his free medical clinic. There are just so many things to do! From a personal, selfish perspective, its almost as if you feel needed, rather than just being a cog. It may not be as financially lucrative or impressive-sounding as a position in a multinational or a multilateral agency but there is a substantial scope for helping people and a considerable feeling of fulfillment that I never felt abroad.

And many of my friends and classmates involved in many different fields and vocations feel the same way and have started returning. We may not see eye to eye on everything and we definitely don't agree on political issues but we do see hope and potential for the future of the country. As Turbo bhai said, we should not be complacent or satisfied by any means- but we shouldn't be bitter and cynical either.

For instance, people like Banfan bhai and others are often critical of Executive and State actions and sometimes rightly so but does that mean we should stop believing in the work of the State, and the People's Republic it constitutionally embodies, altogether? No, we should seek to strengthen such State organs, branches and bodies by making them more transparent, accountable, efficient, etc. Doing so is not only the duty of an incumbent Government of 5 year terms but is also our active, continuing duty as citizens.