View Single Post
Old September 16, 2008, 04:00 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
soccer miya for BCB president!!
I agree with soccer bhai. i don't believe for one moment that ash has encouraged others to join the ICL or wants to join himself. By all accounts he's been approached by ICL scouts since last year, why would he choose to leave now? I just don't believe it.

There's nothing wrong with the ICL itself, it’s just that they’ve managed to annoy the BCCI. The consequence of joining the tournament, as we all know, is that players won’t be able to play for BD. This should be enough to discourage any BD player from pursuing these very lucrative and tempting offers.

I can understand the frustration of Nafees with the BD selectors. Sure he may feel hard done by by them. But does he really rate himself as a cricketer?

Does he truly think that he can develop into the world class player we saw glimpses of when he scored that fine hundred against Australia?

If so, how does he think playing in a 20 over tournament with a bunch of mercenaries will help him become a world class cricketer? How can any of them think sacrificing the privilege of playing ODIs and tests will help them become better cricketers? It won’t, it will just make them wealthier cricketers.

The most annoying thing is that the likes of aftab, nafees and nazimuddin are perennial under-achievers. If they really were that good they would have been offered the chance to play 1st class cricket in England, South Africa or India. Or would have been recruited by the IPL.

The fact is they are not very good at all, which is why the only organisation to show any interest in them (and for measly amounts such as US$30,000, I imagine abdur razaq and inzy are earning much more than this) is a discredited money-making scheme deemed impotent by it’s dispute with the BCCI.

Rafique , Bashar and Tapash should feel free to sign up, their BD careers are over. The others are just foolish. They’ll make good money for themselves, but they will also be remembered as the guys who were just never quite good enough and stopped fighting for their places when they themselves realised this.