View Single Post
Old June 7, 2007, 06:39 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Ray Mali appointed as new ICC president.

From Cricketworld

Quote:
Ray Mali Appointed As Acting President Of The ICC

7 June 2007

Ray Mali Appointed As Acting President Of The ICC
©ICC

Ray Mali has been appointed Acting President of the International Cricket Council following the death of Percy Sonn last month.

Mr Mali, who has served as president of Cricket South Africa (CSA, formerly the United Cricket Board of South Africa) since 2003, will assume the role of Acting President for approximately 13 months until the ICC’s annual conference of 2008.

Cricket South Africa nominated Mr Mali today and this has received final approval by the ICC Board. The Board had asked CSA to make a nomination in line with a recommendation made by the ICC’s Governance Review Committee (GRC) after its meeting in Cape Town on Friday 1 June.

Mr Mali will assume the role of Acting President with immediate effect and in so doing he steps down as president of CSA, also with immediate effect.

Mr Mali will exercise all the powers and duties of the President while in office and his taking the role does not prejudice his chances of being appointed ICC President in the future.

Reacting to his appointment, Mr Mali said: “I take this assignment as an honour and a big challenge. I feel lucky to be taking over at a time when the game is in such good shape. It is also a privilege to succeed Percy, somebody who was a good friend and a person who worked so hard for the betterment of this great game.
Read full