View Single Post
Old March 7, 2011, 01:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawaGuy
Before the WC began Bangladesh was never in a likely position to get through to the QF. The expectation of an optimistic fan was for them to win 1/2 other matches apart from the associates to sneak a 4th spot from any under-par performance of the 4 other teams in the group. But group B apparently has turned out to be a pit of death with all the teams- including the associates giving a fight of their lives. The intensity of these matches can best be observed from an English perspective:

They couldn't defend over 300 runs against the Irish batting while they denied victory to the south-african batting with only 171 on the board. They won against the dutch with only 8 balls to spare and tied a game where almost 700 runs were scored.

From a bangladeshi perspective it is easier to have hoped for a loss from the english today(as they went from being at the most vulnerable spot to being no.1 in group B) or to put your mind at ease by expecting nothing else from our boys. However, anyone following cricket would see a loss from the english an unfortunate circumstance given the drama they have provided us and a poor showing of the rest of the BD matches will be equally unsatisfying; because this isn't the team from WC07.

I may be alone on this one as I prefer the outcome of the WI game over a fighting loss. Apart from stripping our pride it hasn't dealt as serious a blow on our run-rate as the India game(since there were next to no runs scored in this game). Shakib and Siddons may try to hide their feelings and intent by ludicrous statements like "this isn't a serious game"(v. Pakistan) but we all know that 11 boys set out with the hopes of a nation in a once in a lifetime opportunity and faltered under pressure to announce the 4th of March an unofficial day of mourning for our beloved country. The shock wave of disappointment could be felt by bengalis all around the world. 'In this grave hour' I would like to turn to Sun Tsu who says:

"Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory."

Make no mistakes group B is still as open as ever and no team is safe from exclusion. Two losses will even see the leading team out. To conduct permutations of it all will be chaotic and yield at least 14 different scenarios. It is clear however that there is no creeping past unsuspecting teams. If Bangladesh proceeds it must be gained on merit. We cannot rely on other teams fighting our fights. The condition still remains the same and we must do what we set out to achieve in the first place by defeating the associates and winning 1/2 other matches. We HAVE to win against England or SA or Both. Even then we may not make it. So I rephrase: we MUST 'perform to potential' since run-rate are very likely to come into play. All is not lost.
Well written my man. You must be an optimist like myself!

Lets hope for the best.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ