View Single Post
Old March 28, 2008, 01:13 AM
Cricket Guru

Umar Gul gets ‘go ahead’ to bowl again

LAHORE, Feb 24: Medical experts in Australia have allowed fast bowler Umar Gul to resume bowling although with an advice not to overdo it.

Umar, who had been suffering from the injury for five months before he sought medical help abroad, could only partly appear in the home series against South Africa and tour of India last year, while missing the entire ODI series against Zimbabwe. He went to Australia again last week for a final medical check up before returning home on Saturday.

The 24-year-old paceman told Dawn that after going through his medical tests, the doctors were of the view that he could start bowling again.

“The doctors said there was no serious problem and I could start bowling but they have advised me not to play regular cricket and take a break whenever I feel any uneasiness until I feel well again,” said Umar, who has claimed 67 wickets in 16 Tests.

He said that PCB’s doctors had also received the medical reports from Australia and after consulting them, he had decided to resume bowling from Monday.

Umar also reported that bowling while taking rests in between was the best solution to his problem according to the doctors as surgery could make things worse.

** I don't see how Gul can be included in an ODI squad with this kind of fitness, if Pakistan is taking us seriously.