View Single Post
Old June 30, 2009, 02:11 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I am willing to listen. If you can convince me, then this will "sell" else "No".

I like, we like; would mean squat if the individual boards do not like. For instances, no second tier team boards would want to be there. This is the reality. Here are the questions:
1) Why would NZ, WI and Pak want to be in the second tier?
2) Why would England, India agree to the demotion/promotion rules? Are they crazy?

Discussion of Tier system ends here.
+++
Quote:
Cricket is at a crossroads now. With three formats, each makings its own case for survival and expansion and the rise of domestic T20 leagues bolstered by the success of IPL, International fixtures are at the center of discussion with the stakes higher than ever. Cricket needs revamping, pure and simple.
I agree 100% with this and this part only.
Now I will focus only on your "test" proposal. Let me say the ones I think are negatives first then I will talk about the positives.
Quote:
Give power back to ICC for International scheduling instead of individual Boards deciding which bi-lateral series’ are more lucrative and worthwhile. Note that bi/multi-lateral series’ can still be arranged but will need to revolve around the established schedule (see year three of Test cricket for availability)
Which world do you live in? Utopia? You think India, England would hand over power to the puppets they put there? (ICC agents)

In real world, this proposal would be first shot, then mutilated, and then left exposed just to show who is in charge.
Quote:
2.Restrict innings/overs
a. 80 overs per innings per day
Why? I love the fact Ricky Ponting gets dinged for over-rate every time he walks in the middle.
only two nagatives out of this. You are getting better with each time.
+++
Positives:
1) Test championship is due.
2) More FTP time is needed for T20 to keep the boards, players happy (revenue). [With the exception of BD ofcourse].
+++
Now I have a simple proposal of my own:
1) How about five/six years a cycle.
2) Two Divisions. North and South.
North: Eng, SL, Ind, Pak, BD.
South: Aus, NZ, SA, WI, Zim.

or

East: Aus, SL, BD, NZ, Ind
West: SA, Zim, Pak, WI, Eng

Each division teams plays each other 3 test series home and away with in the 5/6 years time. The winner of two division plays for championship pride home and away. More like US settings for championship on major sports. Round robin leagues doesn't work when each match takes 5 days to play and another 3 to 5 days to recover.

This would reduce the number of FTP series significantly. Which in return would let boards have their own T20 leagues, ab-jab danguly games etc.

Now, to solve the Ashes tradition or as such, individual teams can schedule as many tests, series outside the FTP to their liking. Just wouldn't be in ICC FTP.

No one gets demoted and their ego is intact.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; June 30, 2009 at 02:19 PM..