View Single Post
Old August 22, 2005, 07:44 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Australia vs. World XI series

What would your World XI be for this series?

First of all, I just want to say that I don't approve of this series, it is just a pointless money spinner and it is putting players at risk of injury for no real reason.

Personally, with this series taking place just before a big tour of the subcontinent for England, I don't want any England player to play. If Flintoff was to get injured for example when batting against Brett Lee, then that would be Englands chances absolutely down the drain. I don't fancy the risk.

As for it being the World XI against the number one team, well if Australia's performances in the last two matches of this Ashes series continues then they would be flattering themselves to be known as World number 1.

Anyway, seeing as despire my fears England players will be playing anyway, here is what my XI would be:

Test Team

1) Tendulkar
2) Vaughan (capt.)
3) Dravid
4) Inzamam
5) Kallis
6) Lara
7) Sangakarra (w.k)
8) Flintoff
9) Shoaib
10) Ntini
11) Murali

That would be my team. It will be hard not to waste some top quality players in the batting order. The bowling for me has got to be all out pace with Murali, the Aussies have proved in this Ashes series that they are not very good against relentless pace.

Vaughan for me is the best captain in the world and has a batting record against Australia that pretty much no one can better.

I have not included Sehwag because he is always rubbish in moneyspinning matches like these, tries to just slog it about and gets out. I have put Kallis and Lara at 5 and 6 because both are capable of smashing the ball all over the place.

ODI Team

1) Tendulkar
2) Graeme Smith (capt.)
3) Lara
4) Kallis
5) Pietersen
6) Flintoff
7) Sangakarra (w.k.)
8) Pollock
9) Vaas
10) Shoaib
11) Murali

Vaughan cannot possibly be in the one day team, his one day batting is complete crap. Pietersen and Flintoff is a dream ODI middle order. The bowling attack is strong, with Pollock and Vaas economical along with the pace of Shoaib and Flintoff.

Same reason as before for not including Sehwag.