View Single Post
Old November 14, 2012, 10:43 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

In my opinion there are certain characteristics that sets Test cricket apart from limited overs cricket

i) In Test cricket there are large gaps available for boundaries with many man placed in catching positions. It is because the bowlers want the batsman to go for those drives so that they can buy themselves a wicket. In limited overs cricket there is always a pressure to score runs even off good balls... that isn't the case in test cricket and that's why as Chanderpaul showed it's extremely difficult to get good batsman out if they are willing to stay at the crease and rotate the strike.

ii) In Test cricket batting for time is as important as runs when a team is fighting for a draw. Good batsman like Amla, Hussey, Pietersen etc do have all the shots Tamim possess but instead of putting all these shots on display for one or two hours they choose to play safe and do it for 2 or 3 sessions

iii) In Test cricket the match is won by winning sessions and not by an hour or two of hitting boundaries. In the end we gave away 3 wickets in one session.

Now i have no problem with the way Tamim played in the first half of his innings. He simply was good enough to put away the bad balls. My problem is the way he started playing when the WI bowlers settled into good line and length. He played a similar shot to Sammy moments before he got out which luckily fell short of the mid off fielder so his eventual dismissal was definitely not out of the blue rash shot. Those who watched, we all saw it coming. He is a brilliant batsman with a wide range of shots who can simply wait for the bad deliveries to be put away. At the same time he must also accept the fact that if the bowling is good he needs to shift into a lower gear and look to survive. As a professional I can't submit a rubbish report and say that's the way i write. I might have my unique style of writing but that doesn't excuse me of not following the required standard of reporting. A 72 is surely valuable considering the batting lineup but Tamim is capable of much greater heights.