View Single Post
Old March 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Bangladesh: Reflections on the water by James Novak for a more contemporary analysis

Also google Jyoti Rahman's blog writeup on Zias legacy. will give links when I get home later.
Wow, ammark, thanks a lot! I just ordered Novak's book of Amazon and it looks fascinating. I love books that blend history with literature and I think it's remarkably appropriate for a country like ours. I eagerly look forward to reading it (though I am disappointed that I didn't come across it sooner as I went through dozens of books on Bangladesh and the subcontinent while researching for my dissertation in Bangladesh, Germany, India and the UK.)

I'll look up Jyoti Rahman's blog as well. In addition to Zia's era, I'm really quite curious about Ershad's era. Everyone has heard about the corruption, his 'harem', the student protests and the building of some infrastructure but I'd like to know more. (I also know that he tried to decentralize the high court and that was met with extreme opposition by the lawyers - thus leading to the 8th amendment case) Look forward to seeing the links.

Btw, if you're interested, I'd really recommend reading the 5th Amendment and 8th Amendment cases of the BD Supreme Court. It's half legalese and half judicial story telling as the judges recount their version of Bangladesh's history. It's actually really interesting and it's easily available online. Also, if you have JSTOR, i'd recommend reading one of the first academic articles written on Bangladesh's Constitution - "Constitution Making in Bangladesh" by Abul Fazl Haq published in Pacific Affairs in Spring 1973. (If you don't have access to it, I'll happily send it/link it)