View Single Post
Old September 9, 2004, 11:53 PM
Administrator

I do agree - in fact a rather courageous article considering he touched on several "taboo" subjects

- the necessity of the armed forces
- the dangers of extremism from either side of the spectrum - particularly speaking about the rising danger from the "Islamists" - note his drawing a very appropriate analogy to the initial Indonesian refusal to acknowledge the existence of their own militants until Bali
- his statement on the proliferating madrassahs and obscurantist mollahs alienated from the the world

I am not too sanguine about his hope that AL/BNP will both wake up to work together to fight the perils of extremism. I am afraid it may be too late for the extremists have planted themselves quite firmly into our body politic.

I recall reading an interesting article from this author in a BISS journal issue about the imperative of complete civilian control of the armed forces in a democratic society. And this was written while he was still in the Air Force.

It is a pleasant surprise to find that such rational and erudite men can still be found in Bangladesh.