View Single Post
Old July 23, 2013, 05:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
yeah it seems ridiculous, moving to WA was the best thing. i can understand why they stuck with emery because he was one of the best at the time and had the reputation and even played for australia. but if gilchrist hadn't moved we could have lost out big time, instead we got one of the greatest of all time.
Yeah definitely it would have been a massive loss to Australian Cricket. Gilly's story sends out a very good message to younger cricketers. If you can't break into the NSW team or any other state team, if you are dedicated enough and are dreaming big then move interstate so you can have as much exposure to cricket as possible to get the best chance to make a name for yourself. Moving interstate for any young cricketer is very difficult as they are leaving their family and living by themselves in a new environment. It must have been difficult for Gilly and I read it was also very difficult for McGrath as he was a country kid moving into the city to play for NSW.

McGrath had to live in a caravan by himself at night and barely ate dinner sometimes. He did have the urge to go back home because he was home sick but he persevered and realised he had a goal. He would be at the nets late at night (even when it was really cold and chilly) and just continually bowl at the stumps. There would be no one there, just himself. This is what he did as he motivated to achieve a big goal and finally with that perserverance he became one of the best pacers the world has ever seen. I think dedication is the key to it all and frankly I don't see this from anyone in the Bangladesh Cricket team. (except Mushy maybe)

I'm a massive McGrath fan. He was the worst bowler in his club team when he was 14 y.o and his captain joked about a broomstick being a better cricketer than him. He loved cricket so he just kept bowling and bowling and bowling. One step lead to another and he slowly crept up the ranks. He had to work even harder and just kept bowling. Thru hard work and dedication he became the greatest pacers of all time. He is the living proof that hard work (and i mean lots of hard work !) is key to success. The way he bowled, you just know his impeccable line and length bowling comes from his hard work. You can't just be born with that, you need to manufacture that by yourself. No one can teach you how to be bowling smart, what to do when, you need to develop it yourself with hard work.