View Single Post
Old September 26, 2012, 03:37 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Default How hard is pace bowling?

As a fan of the Bangladesh team, my expectation from pacers are pretty low. I always expect the spinners to do most of the damage. I don't expect the Pacers to bowl at express speeds or knock over oppositions with swinging yorkers but having said that (and having seen Irish & Afghan bowlers) how hard is it to actually bowl according to your limitations and according to a game plan against the opposition?

Why can't we:
i) try to bowl line and length and keep it generally near the off and middle stump?
ii) Use the short pitched delivery sparingly and as a surprise weapon?
iii) Develop a variety of slower deliveries to fool the batsman?
iv) Learn to bowl at least 5-6 yorkers per innings?
v) Learn to anticipate what the batsman is trying to do?
vi) Realize that short pitch bowling is impossible to set a field to as it allows batsman to play shots both side of the wicket.
vii) Realize that as the ball gets older and the field gets spread out a fuller length approach outside the off stump becomes easier to set a field to.

I think all these things can be applied by any bowling unit regardless of how tall, fast or gifted they are. Good batsman would still hit you for sixes but at least then we can say we tried our best.

So my question to all is what is it that makes it so hard for our boys to do pace bowling?