Thread: NZ in SA 12/13
View Single Post
Old December 21, 2012, 06:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
TBH, SA have no option. it seems their wk pipeline is very poor that a part timer like ABD have to keep even in test.
i don't know about the quality of keeping but SA do have a couple of keepers who have pretty good FC batting averages. as far as de kock goes apparently he doesn't keep for his province side when they are full strength, but he also apparently has a lot of talent with the gloves as he does with the bat so he could be someone really special if it all develops along well. but i'm sure SA have good quality glovemen, they also have decent keeper batsmen (a couple that average in the 40s) so i don't think SA have a poor keeper pipeline, i think at the time boucher had to leave they didn't want to lose any batting strength and AB keeps in ODIs and bats well so they figured they'd give him ago with that role in tests so that they already have someone experienced in there and someone who is proven quality batsman.

i don't think they were ready to bring de kock into the side, at least not the test team. i think they've giving him ago in the shorter formats to see where he's at, if he can handle it and if he's ready.

also when is luke ronchi eligible for NZ selection? he's not the best with the gloves but they really could use his batting ability, not as consistent as gjuys like flower, gilchrist, dhoni etc but when he's onsong he scores lots of runs fast, even in test cricket, a genuine match winner with the bat on his day and like gilly he can change a test match within a matter of 30 minutes.