View Single Post
Old November 5, 2003, 12:59 PM
Cricket Legend

This is Rana, not the pacer Manjurul Islam who got axed by Whatmore for not wanting to "get the ball past the bat" enough. Is Rana an offspinner?

It seems in a week since I was last here Bangladesh have fallen off a cliff: U-19s disgraced; test team thrashed; Masri's leg in a familiar cast. I was almost expecting AL and BNP would announce separate national teams for the one day series (BNP with only City Club youngsters as per previous posts on this board).

Our selectors and some of the posts on this board are on the same wavelength: chop, drop, axe until some Messiah-like cricketer in diapers walks in to save the day. What happened to the rave reviews for Mushfiq? The variation of flight magic of Enamul (is it his fault he was picked for the wrong kind of wicket in chittagong) ? The cheering for Nafees when he smashed the "ordinary" english bowling? Moniruzzaman? Aftab? Jamaluddin, whoever he is? Here today, gone tomorrow.

Because there is no reliable domestic cricket (please don't start with whoever has scored most runs last year, that is truly meaningless in the test arena), they use the touring practise matches and even the test/odi matches to find new players. Until that is fixed, we won't have a stable team.

In the meantime, I am just going to take a deep breath and chill.