View Single Post
Old October 21, 2003, 09:41 AM
ODI Cricketer

Habibul is not the copy book player. He does not have the best footwork. But despite that he scored all over the world. He relies on hand-eye combination...So he does not have a sound defence. If he puts his mind on defending at the begining of his innings he will score fewer runs overall. That's the reason both Lipu (one of the best strategist in Bangladesh cricket) and Whatmore told him to play his natural game. He will look like irresponsible if he gets out......It happened to Mark Waugh all the time (I'm not saying Habibul belongs to the Mark Waugh class); And about optimism........I was in the Eden Garden during the WC semi between SL-India. The moment India lost Tendulkar, the whole stadium became eerily silent......As if india has lost the game, although India was still ahead. I was stunned.......this attitude makes it hard for the Indian battters.....Tension is sooooo pervasive. I will rather be a part of a supporters group that will motivate the players......This is where I like the pakistan cricket followers......Even when they were loosing the 1987 WC semifinal to Australia, they were shouting till the end. Cricket is a game after all!