Thread: Power of mind
View Single Post
Old March 30, 2005, 01:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus
I am not quiet clear on what you mean by "our own selfish needs" - wouldn't mind an explanation.
I just see it as our own 'selfish' need to cling on to our loved ones regardless of what they are suffering. Despite them being barely alive and/or in severe pain, we are content with this because WE can still interact with them. That is the selfish aspect of not letting 'go'.

Quote:
As for having an oppurtunity at a "dignified" death, I wouldn't listen to anyone who is obviously not in the right mind. (funny how you phrased it, I think the death is more dignifying if you take the pain ).
If the person is going to die soon anyway, why prolong their pain? Do you sit and watch insects dying slowly or do you kill them quickly?

Quote:
Originally posted by jabbar
What do you think the purpose of your life is?
Sorry to interrupt your discussion, but this quote sort of applies to your question

"Religion is really the universal quick-and-dirty answer: 'Your purpose is to obey/adore/praise/worship god X.' The interesting question comes when someone asks: 'OK, but what is the purpose of that?' I imagine someone having lived a good life and gone to heaven and thinking: 'So, what's the meaning of this then?' " - Dr Adrian Heathcote, Philosophy lecturer at the University of Sydney

So why did Allah create us? If you ask this to ANY religious scholar they will answer the same old "God's knowledge has no bounds, and only He knows the reason for our creation" or something equally vague. Which ever way you look at it, our existence is more or less without purpose.

FYI: I am not atheist or agnostic, so you may spare me the usual sermon.