Thread: Umar Akmal
View Single Post
Old September 3, 2013, 10:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
although i agree he hasn't justified his talent he's still done very well in ODIs, an average of 38 (not that far off 39) after 76 matches is really good in ODIs and he's still only 23. even a quality player like sangakkara has only just brought his ODI average near to the 40 mark (now 39.99 but for many years he was around 36-38 range). agree he should bat a bit higher, he's proved to be reliable and as you said pakistan are looking for quality young batsmen.

as far as tests go, it's like i said, had they stuck with him all this time he probably would be averaging over 40 by now, still his average is 35 which isn't that bad.

strange, i just don't get why they haven't supported him.
Agreed. His averages are good for such a young player. I remember the comparisons between him and Kohli when they first came in. Now you can see how Kohli bloomed compared to Akmal. Younis Khan blamed it on the quality of the senior players compared to India. Kohli got to hang around the likes of Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman. Also Imran Khan blamed it on Pakistan's poor domestic setup compared to India which is why their batsmen are not as good. You can also see why we struggle as well since we lack senior leadership and domestic structure although its improving slowly.

Anyways, hope Akmal turns out to be a great batsman for Pakistan for crickets sake. He's a wonderful talent and can be great if he can put his mind to it and the management backs him