View Single Post
Old February 2, 2008, 03:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

As much as I like Alok, Talha, Dhiman and now Imrul, I really don't have a problem Coach Siddons' comments during and after the first practice match. Alok's 37 is COMPARATIVELY a good score, but hardly eye-catching enough to warrant professional praise from the highest level. Meaning, the Coach also looks at HOW all runs are scored, and I don't think Alok, Imrul and others did much to warrant public praise the coach yet.

When it comes to Alok, people, including those who don't like him and think of him as slow and strokeless despite ample evidence to the contrary in light of most of his NCL performances over the last 2 seasons, simply expect more from him. As someone who likes him, I expect more from him because of the potential his talent has to offer - and he must learn to apply that talent WHEN IT COUNTS. International cricket is all about pressure and he must learn to cope with it and deliver.

That said, I'm still convinced he can be our Misbah someday and finally make the much awaited adjustment in his late 20s, or maybe early 30s. In the mean time, he needs to play better than the others to warrant a regular spot in the A-team, if and when BCB decides to make it a NECESSARY and BUSY transitional element with regards to the overall delvelopment of our cricketers before they're REALLY ready for the highest level.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)