View Single Post
Old February 13, 2013, 11:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Let us not diminish the great spirit at Shahbagh by turning this into a partisan issue, because that is precisely what Shahbagh is not. It is not a platform for AL, BNP, JP and certainly not Jamaat.

Shahbagh is about reclaiming the spirit and ideals of our War of Liberation. Shahbagh is about recapturing it from those who have co-opted this spirit to advance partisan interests (be it AL or BNP).

Shahbagh is about the new generation (many of us, who weren't around in 1971) to express their pride in being Bangalee and Bangladeshi...and reject anti-Bangladesh entities(Jamaatis, Rajakars, Chagus) and their bankrupt ideals.

I, for one, am happy that my generation has not forgotten the struggles of our forefathers, who gave us a free Bangladesh. And I am happy that my generation wants to uphold the spirit of their struggle.

I am also happy that we have taken the Liberation War slogan of "JOI BANGLA" back from AL. This slogan belongs to the nation, not to any single party. And it is more powerful and evocative than any number of "Bangladesh zindabads".

And yes, I am happy that we are demanding a clean slate by demanding the highest possible punishment for Rajakar war criminals. We will hound them and let them know that even after 40+ years, this generation is not willing to let them off the hook simply because so much time has passed.

Amader shongram...cholbei, cholbe!
Tumi ke? Ami Ke? Bangalee! Bangalee!
Tomar amar theekana! Padma, Meghna, Jamuna!
Joi Bangla!