View Single Post
Old March 30, 2012, 11:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

now when it comes to genuine test allrounders who could make it as batsmen or bowlers into the team, there aren't many who can on paper, stats wise.

for example ian botham i think in the books has the most 5 wicket hauls and centuries in one match, i think he's done it 4 or 5 times with the next best being only one or 2. but overall stats say he isn't the best allrounder. i always believed abdul razzaq had the potential, he was quick in his earlier days and with the bat he could dismantle any attack but his stats don't show his ability much like botham's.

as far as imran khan goes, he really is more of a bowling allrounder. stats show he was a very capable batsman a 37 average in test cricket is nothing to sneeze at but if you actually look at him bat i don't think he's quite there as a batsmen as other allrounders. i mean sobers, kallis, botham and even shakib when they bat they look like batsmen, imran almost did but not quite imo. HOWEVER, if you go through his career stats and pick out various periods of time (im talking a decade, YES, 10 years or almost 10 years) he averages 50 with the bat and 20 or under with the ball.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...;type=allround

^that's 51 matches and not far off 10 straight years. batting average of 51.6 and bowling average of 19.9 < THAT'S incredible!

in fact this if you add a couple more matches on (53 matches) his batting average was 52.77 and his bowling average was 19.
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...;type=allround

i don't think anyone else in histroy has been able to perform this consistently in both batting and bowling for such a lengthy period of time. on top of that he was a great captain as well.

oh and 53 test matches is more than half 0f his test career about 60% of it actually. now that's a big effort!