View Single Post
Old June 29, 2013, 11:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Manush ke niye thattya hasha-hashi korte nei. Thattya hasha-hashi korle onek gunah hoy.

Training from Brett LEE

Relevant partS:

Quote:
The secret of bowling fast? It's all about rhythm. And angles. And staying fit and getting your body to click. There are certain things that will come naturally - your general coordination, for instance, and snapping your wrist at the point of delivery - and there are other things you can learn about and change. But, deep down, I think bowling fast is something you have to want to do with a passion, because it's very hard work.
This, basically, is how I do it.
Quote:
In the past couple of months, I've shortened my run-up. I suppose like most kids growing up, I thought you had to have a huge run-up to bowl quick. Most fast bowlers back in the glory days, the Sixties and Seventies, went back a long way, almost pushing off the fence to start their run. We used to mimic them. But my run up now is 21 metres and 30 centimetres. Exactly. And I know it is exact because we use a tape-measure to get it right. It's about 21 paces, as I try to do long strides when I'm stepping it out.
Quote:
I've done a lot of work with the great fast bowler Dennis Lillee, who has been a terrific help. To find what suits you best, you get a nice open field, with a stump down one end, you close your eyes and you push off and wait until it feels comfortable, and then run up and just bowl.
Quote:
Someone will mark exactly where your front foot landed, and you don't worry about where the ball goes. Then you go back and do it again, pushing off the same mark, run and let it go while feeling comfortable, and hopefully you will release the ball at the same point.
You find after doing this about 10 times that you are releasing the ball at pretty much the same spot - perhaps a couple of millimetres out - and then you take the average of all of them and that's basically your best run-up, the one that allows you to best hit a rhythm.
Quote:
The fastest I've been clocked at is 157.4 kph, which is around 98 mph. That was in South Africa last year (see table). The second fastest was 156 kph, which was over there again in 2000. It might be something in the air, and South Africa has been a pretty happy hunting ground for me.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles