View Single Post
Old August 18, 2011, 12:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe
Red face Tamim sets an ODI ‘record’

Tamim sets an ODI ‘record’

Quote:
MUMBAI, Aug 17: Bangladesh's 22-year-old left-handed batsman, Tamim Iqbal is yet to succeed on the recent Zimbabwe tour but he has already "scored" over a ton, according to India's two noted statisticians, Mohandas Menon and Sudhir Vaidya.

"Tamim Iqbal has played over 100 ODIs, (101 to be precise), batted in every ODI and actually got dismissed in every ODI. His record is absolutely an unique one.", the statisticians said.

"India's two former coaches, New Zealand's John Wright and South Africa's Gary Kirsten come close to them. Both have batted in all ODI's they have played, 149 and 185 respectively, but remained not out on few occasions-Wright on once and Kirsten on 19 times", they added.

Tamim's brother, Nafees Iqbal, who also played for Bangladesh, was speechless for few seconds when this "unique feat" was brought to his notice."I don't know what to say...", he said initially. "Look there are two angles-positive and negative- to look at this feat", he said later. "It feels good when my brother has batted in all ODIs. This is because, in Bangladesh, the players are changed often. Tamim has shown consistency as an opener and hence he got the chance to bat in all ODIs'.

Thankfully the ODIs, so far he has played, have not been washed away due to rain or abandoned for any other reasons.

"The negative aspect about Tamim's feat on being out in every ODI he has played is that he was unintentionally being wrongly given out in few matches. The second thing is that our team has played few matches against the stronger teams. My brother likes to play shots at every ball and that may be one of the reasons on being out in all matches", Nafees Iqbal signed off.
Source

ps: did not want to put this unique record news in his official thread. It deserves a new thread