View Single Post
Old August 8, 2006, 03:37 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Sameer, if you don't mind me asking.. When did you first leave BD and for how long until you returned? Also, how old are you now?

You made some good points, I totally agree with that self-reflection and realisation is essential for any healthy society/community. But how many 3rd worlds countries other than Bangladesh have you been to and spent so much time closely analysing its people? I know you brought this up because we are Bangladeshis/Muslims and hence this concerns us most, but do you not think the quality of being self-critical is a rare one amongst the vast majority in this world?

Anyway you sort of proved my point there-

"I've found illiterate villagers way more self-refelcting and analytical than Gulshan kids who had gone to Harvard."

Remember, those rich kids do not represent the entire Bangladesh, in fact they hardly represent our Bangali' culture or religion, so it's not a question of protecting our cultural or national identity. It's about maintaining their image in whichever the society they live in and you can be sure they'd do the same even if they lived in Detroit, USA.