View Single Post
Old December 19, 2013, 03:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Very confusing Situation. In one hand we see all the news of destruction and fire and people get killed on the other hand we see all those fabulous parties going on at night... when I open face book, looks like some one some where are always having some kind of parties...marriage, baby shower, gaye holud, anniversary, bou bhaat, other social gathering,,,,doesn't look they they are worries about their own safety or for the nation... looks like they are having really good time.

Is this a case of "inside green zone" and "rest of the country"?

Is this an ugly case of "haves" and "have-notch'?

Is this the case of " whatever happens happens - privileged people never suffer', the not so fortunate one's pay the price?
Why would people put off weddings, baby shower and gaye holuds and what not? Its not like we are in a middle of a war. Even if we were in a middle of a war there is no reason to put things off unless your life was threatened. My parents got married during '71 war. They were certainly not privileged. It has nothing to do with being privileged.

I think we are disillusioned and confused about the present situation because we are not putting things in to context. If my memory serves me right, whats happening in BD today in not much different than what happens in BD in every election year including the times when AL was an opposition party. As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, AL had multiple month long continuous hartal and oborodh for caretaker government in the 90s.

The difference between those days and now is that we have many 24 hours live tv channels whose bread and butter is to sell you fear and controversy repeatedly. They have to fill their daily 24 hour quota with something.We also have people with camera phones and instant upload apps with 100% mobile and data coverage throughout the country.

If we had hartal and oborodh we know about it almost instantly.

But before we had to rely on word of mouth and the only way to know about extend of destruction going on was to hope that the few newspapers we had were there at the right time to take any pictures.

Things haven't gotten worse we just have more medium through which we are bombarded with (mis)information. As a matter of fact I just came back from office. Millions of people are going to their job just fine. Sure a lot of people are suffering too, but that doesn't mean the country is nonfunctional and is in a stand-still.

Its anything but.