View Single Post
Old November 24, 2011, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu
Zunaid bhai please elaborate some on cloud for me. I want to know and get the benefit. Advance thanks.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
Simply - it is the new computing model where software, services, storage, applications are all provided via the internet. All you need is fast and ubiquitous access to the internet -which is getting more and more true all over the world including Bangladesh. You do not need to have local storage nor do you need to buy software for installation locally on your device - applications and even entire platforms are supplied via the internet and you access them via a web browser or other internet enable apps. You don't need a powerful machine to run local software, let the cloud service provider take care of that - as well as backup, redundancy and security.

More and more businesses are moving to the cloud and cloud based applications. Google docs started the way and now you have a whole suite of Google apps for the enterprise. And being on the cloud - you can have access from anywhere (with net access of course) and you can collaborate with anyone. Both MicroSoft and Apple has jumped on the cloud bandwagon - this is the new paradigm.

I've been on the cloud for several years.

My company uses Google Apps for all our 'office' software needs. While we need local computing h/w for some of our software development, we have also used cloud based development on the Amazon EC2 .

All my personal documents, pictures, videos have been digitized and now reside on the cloud. While I do have redundant back-ups on my laptop and a NAS drive, I have this additional security of knowing Google can take protect my stuff better than I can.

I had been using quicken for years for my personal finance, but now I am starting to use in parallel Intuit's Mint.com, which is a cloud based personal finance software.

These days, I am less and less working on my latop - only when I am doing coding, or creating documents or graphics work. Most of the time, I am on the iPad.